State-of-the-Art Swallowing Evaluation
Using the most advanced technology available, the Rose McSweeney Swallowing and Voice Center at Marianjoy Rehabilitation Hospital provides diagnostic evaluations and treatment to help patients return to a normal life where eating, drinking, talking and smiling are routine.
Anyone can develop a swallowing difficulty, from a newborn baby to senior citizens. Some people may have been born without the ability to swallow normally, while others may have lost the capacity to swallow due to illness or injury. Our therapy teams focus on thorough evaluation and specialized treatment plans to improve swallowing and voice production for patients who have swallowing disorders (dysphagia) or voice disorders (dysphonia).
In addition to physiatrists and therapists, specialists in this center also include otolaryngologists, who specialize in ear, nose and throat conditions. Our comprehensive services include:
- video capture and feedback of swallowing function.
- viewing of the swallowing mechanism using endoscopy.
- voice evaluation by stroboscopy provides vivid details of the movement of the vocal folds during swallowing and speech.
- acoustic analysis and voice-function evaluation via computer assessment.
- muscle assessment and retraining via computer for swallowing and speech.